Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Good Stuff

Our book club is gearing up for a second attempt at meeting to discuss One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp.  The first attempt was me, a turkey dinner, and two good friends.

 I feel so compelled to share this book with as many people as possible, as it gives the gift of of perspective in a way no other book has.   I believe a plague on many at-home moms is the belief that we are missing out, biding our time until we can move on with our lives. But it's a lie.

I spent the week in the woods with my children camping. I was not raised a camper, more a Holiday Inner, so this is sort of a big deal. And I was alone with them for most of the time, so I'm pretty much a rock star. I'll sign autographs later.

We ate our breakfast eggs under the watchful gaze of towering pines, played telephone by a crackling fire, ate way too many marshmallows, and sang at the top of our lungs while washing dinner dishes.  Our last night was one of "true confessions" at the campfire, hosted by the fiesty girl with the sweet smile.  She says "we'll laugh about this later."
And these are all gifts, memories to stow away and laugh about one day. Seeing everything as "gift" straight from God removes that constant feeling of hurrying through what I'm living today to get on to the really meaningful stuff.  Today, right now, this is the moment to be savored as gift.  No hurrying for tomorrow, for success, for contentment. Contentment is now, right in front of me. It is gift in my open hand. 
Simon enjoys some sweet downhill speed in between Smores.

4 comments:

  1. Very beautifully put Hilary. Being a stay at home mom IS a gift from God that is to be cherished and not taken lightly. In the beginning it took me a bit to recognize it, now that my kiddos are growing up (oldest 17 and youngest 8) I wouldn't exchange being home with them for anything, not gold nor silver. That is pretty amazing, you taking your kids camping on your own for most of the time! You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we sing at the top of our lungs at family camp? Please?! Kora already knows how to do it. She sang at the top of her lungs through her whole preschool graduation. Also, I'll bring my mommy jeans for you to autograph.

    ReplyDelete